Tuesday, September 2, 2014

On My First Comment Ever - The Power of the Positive

     If confession is the name of the game, then game on, right here.  It took me all summer to finally post a "Slice of Life" story, and it was with much trepidation that I hit the post.  You see I GET the message that good writing teachers should model writing for their students. I've done this before, but probably not the the extent I could have. NEVER on-line. But, perhaps like many, I have not always thought my writing good enough to publish. Especially after I read what others have written.  Such eloquence and poise in the printed word! This, I thought, was beyond me. So, I wallowed in self doubt, creating beautiful tomes in my head, especially when I was in the shower!   But, gee, to put it out there? That was a whole other ballgame.

     After hitting post, I was exhausted. It was rather late, and I had become stressed that I wouldn't be able to figure it all out before 12am! You see, not only did I have to post, but I had to put the finishing touches on my blog. Looking at others' blogs, I wondered how they got them to  look so pretty, while mine was devoid of interest and color. Not only did I have to post, I had to figure out all the other aesthetic aspects of the blog as well. So I explored the settings and templates, figuring out background colors, all the while keeping an eye on the clock. I finally got the basics completed, figuring at least it was colorful! There are still other things I'd like to include, (for example, the Slice of Life logo) but that's where it stands at this point in time. Anyway, while I continue to play around with the setting, templates, etc. expanding my learning curve, the blog will stand and I will keep on writing.

     People write for all sorts of reasons and purposes. I am writing to grow. If I write, my students will write. Experiencing all the trials and tribulations, doubt, fears, along with the exhilaration, and satisfaction of a finished piece makes me more sensitive to what my students experience. Funny thing though, as I have been noting all these small moments that might make for some entertaining or thought provoking writing, I realize I am also writing for enjoyment. Real personal narratives.

     But while I was writing with purpose, I was still leery about putting it out there. And this is why I chose SOL. With SOL, the one request is that you not only post, but that you respond to at least three other postings. I knew that even if I received a challenge to my thinking, or a suggestion about my writing, it would not be laced in negativity.

     And when you put something real out there, even if it's not controversial, you are making yourself vulnerable. Which brings me to the  point of this post. This morning, one of the first things I did was to check for comments. I knew it might be doubtful there would be any, since I posted late. However, lo and behold, there it was: 1 comment!  Just one. But that one sincere comment, by @CathyMere made all the difference to me. Thank you, Cathy! It made the difference between moving forward or being stagnant. How powerful is that? And if that's how I feel as an adult, how much more meaningful is it to our students, who are most likely way more sensitive than we are? We CAN make a difference in our students' budding writing lives. I intend to make it a positive one.


2 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    You made me smile. Personally, I've been struggling to get a post written so I'm clapping aloud for all those who manage. Going public isn't easy, however I'm so grateful to those who do. What I've learned as I move from blog to blog is everyone has a story to tell, everyone has a unique way with words….and I learn at every stop. Thanks for being brave enough to push the publish button (and thanks for reminding me of the importance of a comment).

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete